LyllosMig

Growing in sewing


10 Comments

Cherry pickin’

When I was getting my new sewing room in order last week I found a dress that I bought last summer at a second hand store. I never got around to redesigning it then so when I found it I was excited to finally get to work. It’s easier to redesign a long dress into a short one since there’s more fabric to work with. This dress was especially good because it didn’t have many seams or other “extras” that are hard to work with. I didn’t have any zipper and didn’t want the struggle that always occurs when I am sewing on a zipper so I came up with the idea to use a cut-out in the back with a button and an elastic waste instead.

So this was what the dress looked like before:

Not really flattering, certainly not on me. But I really like the fabric.

So this is what I did:

I started by taking a dress (from Indiska) that fits me well and has a good length and placed it next to the cherry dress to mark where I should cut to get the skirt a good length.

I cut straight across the skirt. I then used this skirt as a pattern to cut out a copy out of black fabric for the lining. I sewed it together at the sides. Then I sewed the two skirts together at the top and sewed a seam around to make a tunnel and added elastic.

Using my “good dress” again I traced a pattern of the front and back bodice adding darts where needed. For the back I drew a half-circle to the pattern that would make out the cut-out in the back.

I cut out the front and back bodice pieces from the lining fabric.

For the back I sewed around the half-circle, the armpit and the neck leaving the sides, strap and bottom open.

On one of the back pieces I made a loop for the button and placed this in between the two fabrics when sewing together.

This is where I got caught up in the sewing and forgot to take pictures of the process. Leave a comment if you want more details. What I did was sew the bodice together and tried it on several times to make adjustments so it fit well. Then I sewed on the skirt to the bodice and added a button to the back. Done!

The finished dress

And here are some pictures of the dress (and me) that my boyfriend took, thank you P!

 If you like refashion / redesign, check out my new post here


1 Comment

“Nurses Dress” Redesign

This is another dress I bought at a second hand store and decided to redesign. It originally looked like an old nurses dress. I forgot to take a picture. The design looked a lot like this: nurses dress. I started out by cutting out the back to make it a razor back and cutting of the sleeves. Then I added a multi-color ribbon to the edges and under the bust. I finished off by shortening the length. It’s perfect for a bike ride on my new bike (that my mother got me :)) on a warm summer day.

 

 

 


1 Comment

Sea Dress

I recently found three dresses in a thrift shop for about 40 kr (about 6 USD). They were all similar in the design but the fabric varied. They were all mid-calf length with a button down front, short sleeves and a collar. I forgot to take before-photographs which I wish I had done to show how different they turned out. I will remember to do it next time!

One of the dresses had a pretty funky polyester fabric in blue, green and turquoise. But the dress was a little big and there was just too much fabric so it was a little hypnotizing.

The first thing I decided was that I wanted the buttons to be on the back instead of in the front. I started out by turning the dress around on my mannequin and pulling it up so the seam that was at the waist came up to just under the bust. This got rid of a lot of extra fabric and also pulled up the hem to knee level. I needled the dress to the mannequin and just draw the neckline that I wanted. Then I took out my scissors and just cut away until it was just right. I did the same thing for the sleeves. The dress has a lining that I wanted to keep so I used my Serger to  fasten the two layers together. I sewed the shoulder seams and added darts to the bust. Then I folded under the seams and sewed them down with a straight seam. To finish off I added a cotton lace to the v-neck that I had laying around.

I’m pretty happy with the end result and wore it with heels on a date with my boyfriend.