LyllosMig

Growing in sewing


2 Comments

Coco Puffs

Forgive me for my long absence. I have been much more interested in the creating and sewing parts than that of sharing my makes. I am in the midst of sewing my summer wardrobe (I have already made three bathing suits) and thought I better update the blog with what I have made during winter/spring before I show you those things.

I’m starting out with this Coco I made way back in early fall. I wore it for my nephews birthday party in October and after losing some weight since then it doesn’t fit that great anymore. So it’s kind of old news by now but I still like it a lot so maybe I will get around to taking it in some day.

The pattern is Coco from Tilly and the Buttons; the dress variation with a cowl neckline. This is a really fast and satisfying pattern to make. I have made it up three times now I think and the last time it took 1-2 hours from start to finish. I love how comfy and retro it is too.

I didn’t really know about Ponte de Roma fabric before I bought this pattern and went to Stoff & Stil to find some. After a while I found a bolt of this blue loveliness and it said “Ponte de Roma” on the tag. When I got home and looked at the receipt it was called something else (can’t remember what now) and you can’t find it on their website if you search for Ponte. Strange.

I also got a grey version of the same kind of fabric that I had planned to make a long-sleeved Coco top out of but it randomly resulted in this instead.

In this picture you can see my mistake of putting in the cowl neck wrong, I couldn’t really tell the back from the front I guess and so I ended up with a seam in the front. Luckily, the fabric hides it pretty well.

I love these boots and if anyone is wondering they are from Green Laces.

Advertisements


1 Comment

2 become 1 (DIY long sleeved tee)

So, it’s been a long time since I posted last time. It isn’t because I haven’t been sewing. I’ve actually been sewing 2-3 times a week, it’s quite nice to get some creativity in after a long day sitting by a computer. The problem has been that I haven’t really succeeded in my projects or they haven’t been creative enough to make it onto my blog. It’s hard to take pictures now too when it’s pitch black when I leave work. Oh well, the picture quality will have to be what it is for a while. No more excuses, let’s get to it!

So, I’ve been really inspired by Cotton & Curls, it has wonderful DIY’s and Liz seems to be able to redesign anything into something gorgeous. She has a great guide for making a fitted top out of a men’s T-shirt. I’ve done two of these already where I have decorated them by painting colored stripes on the front (one can be seen in the tutorial). But since it’s getting colder and I like my cosy long-sleeved shirts I decided to try to make a color-blocked long sleeved tee. I found a good deal and bought three X-large T-shirts. It would have been nicer (for the environment and my wallet) if I bought them at a second-hand store but I couldn’t find any nice ones so I caved and bought new ones.

I came to realize afterwards that I could have done some steps differently so I’ll try to explain that in the tutorial.

Take me to the Tutorial already!