LyllosMig

Growing in sewing


1 Comment

Lorraine Again

20140709-202801.jpg I made another Lorraine top. This time I made it out of a patterned cotton fabric from Panduro Hobby. The result was pretty different from the first one, this one has more of a retro feel. I made a matching belt to shape it a bit. I’m thinking about making a dress out of the pattern next.20140709-202812.jpg

Advertisements


1 Comment

The Once in a Lifetime Blouse

IMG_0037

This blouse took me a few weeks (maybe even a month) to finish. I could probably have finished it on a weekend if I would have persevered. I made it from this Burda pattern in a lovely chambray fabric, it was in last months European Burda Style. The problem was mostly with the collar/V-neck part. I had a really hard time understanding the instructions, it might have something to do with the translation from German to Swedish. Luckily my Mom was coming to visit anyway so I got her expertise which helped a lot. After all the hard work I had put in I was just a bit disappointed when I finally put on the finished garment. I don’t know what I was expecting… maybe I was secretly wishing for a choir to come in and sing “Hallelujah”. Well, that didn’t happen, but I know have a blouse I can proudly say I made (if anyone ever asks).Processed with Moldiv


2 Comments

The Y Dress

IMG_0545

Last summer I ordered the book Stylish Dress Book – Wear With Freedom by Yoshiko Tsukiori. The book includes 26 patterns for tops and dresses and is inspiring with the simple yet elegant patterns. The first half of the book is just pictures of (sad?) but pretty japanese girls wearing the clothes. The second half contains instructions including helpful drawings. I found the instructions to be quite easy to follow. The sizes go from 6 to 16 but they seem to run on the small side.

The first time I looked in the book I knew I wanted to make the Y dress (the pattern go from A to Z). I found both the fabrics at Stoff och Stil sometime this fall and finally got around to sewing the dress about a month ago. It was a pretty easy sew and only took a few hours. I really like how it turned out, it’s great layered for fall and winter and will also be cool in the spring and summer.

Has anyone else sewn something from this book? I’d love to see pictures and read about your experience!

IMG_0547

Hat and gloves: Knitted by my sister

Boots: Dirty Laundry


Leave a comment

Sweatshirt Gloves

20131028-204803.jpgIt’s getting cold and stormy here in Sweden and I started wishing I had a pair of gloves to warm my hands. I wasn’t quite ready to pull out my knitted ones though as I don’t want to accept that it’s winter. So I thought of this idea to make a pair out of soft sweatshirt fabric and sleeve ribbings. I’m going to try out this pattern again with a lining and some padding for when it’s really cold. The pattern is made from a hand so you can easily make it for kids too. This would also make an awesome upcycling project using an old sweater.

To the instructions!

20131028-205912.jpg


2 Comments

Jumpsuit

Image

A jumpsuit is the ultimate comfort outfit. Sometimes I envy babies who get to wear onesies all the time. This cozy jumsuit is great because I found a use for an old tank top that was too tight and too short to use anymore. You could also reuse old sweatpants, I might try that another time.

I was in “the zone” when making this one and didn’t take any pictures for a tutorial, so I’ve drawn a quick tutorial instead. Leave a comment if you want more info or if you need me to make a more complete tutorial.

To the tutorial!Image 1


4 Comments

Tank Top Dress

20130517-215519.jpg

Summer is sort of here in Sweden and it’s time to start sewing some lighter clothes!

I’ve had this navy blue and white jersey fabric for a while now. It was a good deal for 29kr (4 USD). There was about 1.5 meters (1.6 yards) of it, just enough for this dress!

You make the pattern yourself from a tank top that fits you well.

The red jacket I’m wearing I made last fall from fabric and pattern from Stof & Stil.

Here is the tutorial


1 Comment

2 become 1 (DIY long sleeved tee)

So, it’s been a long time since I posted last time. It isn’t because I haven’t been sewing. I’ve actually been sewing 2-3 times a week, it’s quite nice to get some creativity in after a long day sitting by a computer. The problem has been that I haven’t really succeeded in my projects or they haven’t been creative enough to make it onto my blog. It’s hard to take pictures now too when it’s pitch black when I leave work. Oh well, the picture quality will have to be what it is for a while. No more excuses, let’s get to it!

So, I’ve been really inspired by Cotton & Curls, it has wonderful DIY’s and Liz seems to be able to redesign anything into something gorgeous. She has a great guide for making a fitted top out of a men’s T-shirt. I’ve done two of these already where I have decorated them by painting colored stripes on the front (one can be seen in the tutorial). But since it’s getting colder and I like my cosy long-sleeved shirts I decided to try to make a color-blocked long sleeved tee. I found a good deal and bought three X-large T-shirts. It would have been nicer (for the environment and my wallet) if I bought them at a second-hand store but I couldn’t find any nice ones so I caved and bought new ones.

I came to realize afterwards that I could have done some steps differently so I’ll try to explain that in the tutorial.

Take me to the Tutorial already!