Say “Hi!” to my kitchen wall. You will probably see it a lot until the weather warms up again. I hope you don’t mind! This outfit is kind of old by now but I haven’t gotten around to taking pictures. Again, I blame the cold.
So anyways, a couple of weeks (months maybe) I got this strong desire to make some pants. I have no idea why. I’ve made some pants before but they were mostly sweat pants or pants without a fly. I wanted to master the fly. So I got out this fabric that I bought on sale from Stoff & Stil and looked through literally all of my patterns, Burda magazines and books to find a good pattern. When I finally found the perfect style in one of the magazines I realised that the pattern sheets were missing (I have to sort these out some day!). So then I looked through my recently bought copy of the new Great British Sewing Bee Book and found the tailored pants for men. So I talked myself into making those but altering them a bit to fit.
This is me looking as mad as I was when I was trying to figure out how to make the fly. I kind of lost patience with the instructions after the first step with the pockets. Can I blame it on me not being british? I figured out my own way of making the pockets and they turned out pretty good. After that I tried my best to make the fly but I failed so miserably that I just cut the whole thing off and just sewed the front seam together. Then I proceeded with sewing the legs together and tried them on and of course they ended up way too tight. I almost tossed the entire project away but I must have had some kind of lightbulb moment that saved me. I added stripes on the sides of the legs. It is actually the same fabric as the rest of the pants, just turned inside out. So now I could actually put the pants on but since I had axed the fly I needed a way to fix the waistband. I ended up making an elastic waistband with three rows of elastic. Then I did the same kind of thing to the cuffs. So I ended up some kind of sweat meets suit pants. I’ve actually worn them to work a few times although they have a tendency to get a bit too baggy when the waistband drops down a bit.
When I hade finally finished the pants I needed a matching shirt so I whipped up this T-shirt. The pattern is the basic T-shirt pattern from Sew U Home Stretch, I altered the sleeves a bit and did my own neckline. The fabric is this organic jersey. This was my first top that I finished with my new Janome CoverPro 1000CP. My mom gave it to me way back in May but I have been kind of scared to use it. Now I love it as much as my serger and am kind of obsessed with cover stitching as much as I can. Too bad I forgot to take pictures of that!