After my fail with making the last pair of pants I decided to buy a good pattern and actually do some research before tackling the task again. So I bought this pattern and this super soft dark blue twill fabric. Then, for like the second time in my life I made a muslin/toile to get the fit right. It helped a lot. To understand how the heck you install a fly zip, I searched the interwebs and found this great tutorial that really explains every step. I couldn’t believe how easy it was when I knew what I was doing, and so rewarding!
So after I had mastered (err, made ONE) zip fly I came to realize that there were some other hurdles when sewing pants. Like the waistband! I didn’t waste much time and looked up a good tutorial right away. I ended up using this method from Collette Patterns. I love how you get an extra surprise with the tape on the inside.
When I was almost done I realized the inseams weren’t as strong as they need to be so I sewed on bias tape all along the seams. This ended up being another fun detail as you can see the tape when the hems are rolled up (I always roll my pants up).
I decided not to make any back pockets since there wasn’t that much space back there.
These are now my favorite pair of pants and I still cannot really believe that I made them myself.
I apparently can’t make pants without making a matching shirt so I quickly made this t-shirt. I actually chopped up this dress that I seldom wear, there was just enough fabric.