When I was getting my new sewing room in order last week I found a dress that I bought last summer at a second hand store. I never got around to redesigning it then so when I found it I was excited to finally get to work. It’s easier to redesign a long dress into a short one since there’s more fabric to work with. This dress was especially good because it didn’t have many seams or other “extras” that are hard to work with. I didn’t have any zipper and didn’t want the struggle that always occurs when I am sewing on a zipper so I came up with the idea to use a cut-out in the back with a button and an elastic waste instead.
So this was what the dress looked like before:
Not really flattering, certainly not on me. But I really like the fabric.
So this is what I did:
This is where I got caught up in the sewing and forgot to take pictures of the process. Leave a comment if you want more details. What I did was sew the bodice together and tried it on several times to make adjustments so it fit well. Then I sewed on the skirt to the bodice and added a button to the back. Done!
And here are some pictures of the dress (and me) that my boyfriend took, thank you P!
If you like refashion / redesign, check out my new post here