I recently found three dresses in a thrift shop for about 40 kr (about 6 USD). They were all similar in the design but the fabric varied. They were all mid-calf length with a button down front, short sleeves and a collar. I forgot to take before-photographs which I wish I had done to show how different they turned out. I will remember to do it next time!
One of the dresses had a pretty funky polyester fabric in blue, green and turquoise. But the dress was a little big and there was just too much fabric so it was a little hypnotizing.
The first thing I decided was that I wanted the buttons to be on the back instead of in the front. I started out by turning the dress around on my mannequin and pulling it up so the seam that was at the waist came up to just under the bust. This got rid of a lot of extra fabric and also pulled up the hem to knee level. I needled the dress to the mannequin and just draw the neckline that I wanted. Then I took out my scissors and just cut away until it was just right. I did the same thing for the sleeves. The dress has a lining that I wanted to keep so I used my Serger to fasten the two layers together. I sewed the shoulder seams and added darts to the bust. Then I folded under the seams and sewed them down with a straight seam. To finish off I added a cotton lace to the v-neck that I had laying around.
I’m pretty happy with the end result and wore it with heels on a date with my boyfriend.